THE KID'S SHERE
An urban educational project.
The creation and development of the Children's sphere was the result of the Atomium's desire to create an educational project based on the buildings characteristics and potential, but also its history and its symbolic value.
The resulting project invites children to spend a night at the Atomium; to marvel at the view of Brussels from its panorama; and to make the most of their visit to discover other symbolic parts of Brussels…
The desire to highlight the educational aspect of the Atomium is based on the idea that towns and cities play a major role in today's society. Understanding this environment, which is both familiar and discomforting is certainly a key area for the integration and development of children.
- The group of children and their adult companions are welcome at the Atomium at 7:30 pm to spend the night.
- Meals, cutlery and amenities are provided in the Sphere. A television and DVD player are also available.
- The children sleep in small groups (max. 3-4) in the 8 mini spheres, also called, rather poetically as raindrops, specially designed for this purpose by the Spanish artist, Alicia Framis.
- At 9am the next morning, after breakfast in the panoramic restaurant in the highest sphere: there is a guided presentation of the Atomium for the whole group. The experience ends at 10am.
The activity is only intended for primary school children, between 6 and 12 years of age in the framework of a school project.
- capacity: between 10 (minimum) and 24 (maximum) pupils, with 2 accompanying teachers (maximum).
- times: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday (excluding official school holidays in Belgium) - arrival at 5:30 pm, departure the following morning by 10 am.
- price: €35/night, inclusive of all taxes, per person (pupil and teacher).
Included in the price:
- access to facilities (several tables and chairs, 1 plasma screen + DVD player),
- use of the bathroom facilities (1 shower, 3 toilets, washbasins),
- the night caretakers,
- the evening meal in the Children's Sphere and breakfast in the panoramic restaurant in the highest sphere,
- a guided presentation of the Atomium for the entire group after breakfast,
- use of a television and DVD player in the evening (you may bring your DVDs).
Not included in the price:
- bedding, (please bring a sleeping bag and relatively warm pyjamas), toiletries (towel, soap etc.),
- lunch, drinks other than water provided with the evening meal and hot chocolate and coffee/tea provided with breakfast (we can’t sell drinks in the evening and can’t give alcohol to adults),
- access to other museums or venues outside the Atomium,
- items and souvenirs on sale in the Atomium shop,
- the support by one or several specialist guides during the visit.
- access to the children's sphere is always by the stairs. We therefore recommend that parents ensure the children's luggage is as light as possible and preferably in a backpack.
- the prices on our website are solely informative; they may be subject to change. Please ensure you obtain information about the correct fees from our contact person Beverley Glineur.
The booking diary is already open for the school years 2020-2021, 2021-2022, 2022-2023 and 2023-2024.
All bookings are subject to an agreement between asbl Atomium and the institution, prior to the event. A deposit of €350 must be paid into asbl Atomium’s bank account. The booking must be confirmed in writing.
A copy of the internal rules of procedure shall be sent to you upon signature of the contract.
- the Atomium reserves the right to cancel a booking if there are fewer than 10 children in the class or more than 24, even if the reservation was made the year before.
- if the booking is cancelled less than 60 days prior to the date of your stay, the deposit will not be refunded. Notification of cancellation must be confirmed in writing.
Contact & booking
Children's Sphere & educational activities (information & booking)
beverleyglineuratomiumbe / +32 (0)2 475 47 70